So, for my last FET waaaay back in October, it never even dawned on me to try to have my meds go thru insurance. I had been "told" that I didn't have coverage for IVF meds so I just used Fertility Pharmacy and paid out of pocket. It cost us about $700 which in terms of meds is not that bad... we're all rolling our eyes at this, yet we all understand right?
Anywhoo, fast forward to 2 weeks ago... the start of FET #2. This time I thought to myself... I have the time, why don't we just give this a shot in the dark and SEE if the meds MIGHT get approved. I mean, technically these aren't IVF meds... they're FET meds...
So cross your fingers... apparently getting approval for this is taking a mega long time. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one. But I've had to call Cigna Tel Drug SEVERAL times to check on the "status" of my order and was supposed to have the meds by tomorrow. Which is clearly not happening between this stupid snow storm AND the fact that they are still waiting on prior authorization. Ugh. It's just never easy.
If for some reason the meds don't get approved, i'll then have to transfer the Rx to Freedom since they supposedly have the lowest prices... which I'll then probably have to call them a million times...
And they tell people not to be stressed with infertility? Really???
OK rant over.
PS - for all of you that have to do this dance that i've had to do with the pharmacy and insurance company, try to pad your timeline as much as possible. I don't actually need the meds until Monday, the 27th. Thank god I lied to them and said I needed everything tomorrow or who knows when I'd get everything.
Dont you just love insurances?? I had the same problem with Cigna...the thing is that they dont actually supply with the meds they approve the auth and get you over to the pharmacy. In my case, Caremark. I am having issues with them on getting more Estradiol since I ran out yesterday. They wont let me refill it til tomorrow which is funny bc its one day difference. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteDealing with the insurance is the worst. Good idea on telling the pharmacy way in advance! I hope you get everything in time :)
ReplyDeleteHoping everything goes through smoothly with insurance!!
ReplyDeleteI have been told on multiple insurance carriers that I do not have fertility coverage for treatments or meds. My first few IUI's, I paid out of pocket never bothering to run it through insurance. For my IVF last year, Freedom Pharmacy ran it through my insurance, i figured it won't hurt and all I paid were the $200 copays!! So it's definitely worth trying!!!
ReplyDeleteHoping your meds are covered..it is so unfair that they don't cover for most of us. :( Good luck on your FET!!!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog from a mutual follower -we have very idenitical time lines. I did the same thing with Freedom Pharmacy - I lied about when I needed the meds, which was a good thing as they almost screwed up at the last minute. To get my Estrace (oral) and PIO, I went to a compounding pharmacy with a list of Freedom's prices and played the "I'd rather support a local business" card and asked if they could match Freedom's prices. In my case, the pharmacist himself is an IF survivor and gave me a bit of a discount too! Good luck with your FET prep!
ReplyDelete